Friday, July 26, 2013

Happy Writing

Within college, I sank into creating essays, research papers, powerpoint presentations (you get the point) before my level of creativity roared to life and demanded that I pay attention. That was halfway through a Masters degree.

Since putting off unleashing that beast, I slammed out three versions of a trilogy (editing process turned out to be a bitch) before I did a face-palm and switched to another idea. That was a year ago. Another novel and more short stories that I can count later, I have finally released my first short to Amazon.

Why did I wait? I'm a perfectionist. I wanted to hone my craft (writing, editing, re-writing, editing...you get it) before I threw myself on the mercy of the wolves. Okay...let's back up a minute.

Before I did this, I launched into freelance creative writing to get a taste of what it was like and see what was out there. I've made money (and continue to do so) but it's definitely not a get-rich-quick type of thing. The industry is so flooded with low-paying jobs that it's difficult to find lucrative pay. I type extremely fast, am highly imaginative, and devour new information.

So...I'm off--finally emerging under my own steam. I don't expect to get rich but will be happy with whatever my craft produces. Why? Because I love writing, need to create, and cannot stop the stream of prose filtering through my mind.

If you're a similar writer, do yourself a favor. Write because you love to create and enjoy leading someone on a journey outside themselves. Don't slap the keyboard because you can string a sentence together and think you'll make money. There's already enough of those out there...

https://www.amazon.com/author/bsdolphin

Happy writing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment